Sunday, March 27, 2011

Jealousy

Normally, when it comes to poetry, I'm not a huge fan. I've never really enjoyed reading it and didn't really understand why poets thought they had to be so deep that it ended up not making sense. Anyway, maybe that's just me. However, in reading out of the poetry packet from class, there is one poem I read that I guess you could say makes me "jealous". And that is the poem Sick by Shel Silverstein. I love how it rhymes and seems to all flow together. I think alot of times we try and be funny in our writing that we just end up looking stupid. But he managed to say what he wanted to say in a simple, funny way without sounding cheesy. One reason why I think this poem is so humorous is because it is really true. There is not one person that can say that they haven't faked sick on at least one occasion. I know I have! And in the end, when the child being written about realizes it's Saturday, they are suddenly all better, and healthy enough to go out and play! I just wish I could be clever and quick with my words and lines like Shel Silverstein is in this particular poem, Sick.

1 comment:

  1. This is my 6-year-old son, Cy. He's missed more school this year than I missed my entire elementary school career. He's always sick at around 8-9am. But he's always better around lunch time, when it's time to go outside and play.

    ReplyDelete